The organizations and companies that deploy Lean Six Sigma practices and methodologies aim to make all their business processes and opportunities statistically free of defects. These organizations yearn for decreased process variation, increased performance and offer improved quality of services and products.
Talking about marketing experts, Six Sigma techniques help them to visualize the scenario through the eyes of customers and stakeholders. This allows them to measure and analyze the outcomes precisely and improve accordingly.
Six Sigma VS Traditional Approach
Six Sigma aims to quantify the input variables and focus on the least wastage. On the other hand, the traditional marketing methodologies totally depend on measuring the final output and then establishing plans to protect customers from organizational defects.
The Six Sigma approach strives to eliminate the redundancies or problems at the root/ input level itself. This eliminates the need for any unnecessary inspections and re-work cost. The Lean Six Sigma approach helps in identifying and eliminating defects with a data-driven and well structured strategy
Lean Six Sigma certifications help the organizations to improve their marketing tactical, operational and strategic processes which in turn enhance the top line to generate more revenue. A Lean Six Sigma green belt and Six Sigma black belt professional helps the marketing team in developing an efficient workflow by identifying leading indicators of growth. All this makes it possible for marketing experts to become more proactive as far as performance improvement is concerned.
Six Sigma in Marketing
According to the latest quality management trends, Six Sigma allows the organization’s marketing team to gain an advantage in several areas. This includes:
- Developing a business strategy and vision which is supported by management
- Creating benchmarks to measure performance and success
- To strive for internal processes improvement
- Measured and accountable business goals
- Statistical measures that constantly use data and perform analysis for positive outcomes
- Robust and proven methodologies for continuous improvement
Read Also: Lean Six Sigma: Top tips worth remembering
Six Sigma Methodologies Used to Enhance Marketing processes
There are essentially two methodologies in Six Sigma which helps in leveraging marketing processes. These are:
DMAIC is used in improving and enhancing existing business processes while DMADV is used in the creation of new product designs or processes which result in mature, defect free and more predictable performance.
- Define: All the roles, goals and deliverables are defined according to customer demands and the organization’s strategy during this phase.
- Measure: In this phase the performance of all the current processes is measured and relevant data is captured for future comparison and improvement.
- Analyze: Here the analysis of all the causality factors is done.
- Control: Variances, if any, are corrected here before they end up into defects.
- Improve: In this phase process improvement is made in order to eliminate the defects, thereby, improving performance.
DMADV includes five stages:
- Define: All the goals of the design activity are defined here.
- Measure: All the critical product/process capabilities are measured and identified.
- Analyze: To determine the best design, all the alternatives are analyzed, designed and developed in this phase.
- Design: The process is designed here.
- Verify: The design is verified during this stage.
The main objective of both these approaches is to create a systematic and data driven approach to solve business problems which will yield a positive impact on the customers.
Six Sigma methodologies in marketing will:
- Boost marketing’s ability to deliver as per market requirements/ standards.
- Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the marketing planning process.
- Help in successfully managing marketing operations.
- Offer transparency in all marketing processes.
- Enhance the collaboration between marketing and other groups.
Marketing plays a quintessential role in generating and driving revenue and profit. For providing a valuable contribution to business profitability, the marketing team must assume a broader perspective. Lean Six Sigma courses are a proven way of integrating marketing operations with overall business processes.
Six Sigma helps the marketers in project selection that is aligned with attractive market opportunities. The marketing team can opt for faster and accurate product commercialization and effective cross-functional communication.