If you want to make a living as a designer, whether working for an employer or freelancing, you’ll need to know how to work with images in InDesign. With ’Essential Skills for Designers – Images in InDesign’, take your skills to the next level and become an expert with images in this powerful content-publishing tool.
Five Lessons Learned:
- I) Pressing the arrow keys on the keyboard while creating an image or text frame can divide the frame up into a grid of columns and rows thanks to the Gridify feature.
- II) The Gap tool works best if you use Auto Fit on image frames. Using these two features in combination will allow you to change images around in InDesign much more efficiently.
- III) There are 3 types of feathering that you can use on images. All of them can be added as effects onto image or text frames and they can be used in combination, too.
- IV) InDesign doesn’t use masks, instead it has frames. You can easily crop images by adjusting their frames. When you double click on any of the image frame corner points they will quickly revert back to show all the content in them.
- V) Bridge is a great application for file management, especially used together with InDesign. It not only makes placing images into your InDesign documents easier but also provides some invaluable information of your projects, that no other file management applications would be able to show.
‘Essential Skills for Designers – Images in InDesign’ shows you how to work with images in InDesign to create polished and professional looking layouts and designs. Almost every creative project in InDesign consists of text and graphics… so knowing how to effectively add and manipulate images is an indispensable component of your designer skill set. You’ll learn how to use the tools and panels, how to frame and fit your images, explore Bridge and MiniBridge, then dig deep into advanced techniques for adding effects, wrapping and anchoring text, adjusting opacity and feathering, using Photoshop objects, styles, and so much more.
Presenter Martin Perhiniak will take you through all the steps necessary to learn these exciting techniques. Before you know it, you will be impressing colleagues and friends with your newly learned skills for working with images in Adobe InDesign.
InDesign CS6 or later required to work along with included project files.
Chapter I INTRODUCTION 13:49
- Using Bridge or MiniBridge
- Placing Images into Documents
Chapter II ESSENTIAL TOOLS AND OPTIONS 27:42
- Links Panel
- Preflight Panel
- Editing Frames
- Custom Frames
- Frame Fitting Options
Chapter III ADVANCED TECHNIQUES 32:02
- Gap Tool
- Text Wrapping
- Anchor Image to Text
- Opacity and Feathering
- Effects and Strokes
- Using Photoshop Documents
- Object Styles
- Multiple Frames Effect
- Saving a Package
Martin Perhiniak is a Certified Adobe Design Master and Instructor He worked as a designer for companies like Disney, Warner Brothers, Cartoon Network, Sony Pictures, Mattel, and DC Comics. He is currently working in London as a designer and instructor, as well as providing a range of services from live online training to consultancy work to individuals worldwide.
“Do not compare yourself to your role models. Work hard and wait for the moment when others will compare them to you”
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.