This is a practical, project based series that will give viewers a new appreciation of some of Photoshop’s most creative tools. Viewers will gain a new appreciation for Smart Object workflow, Photoshop 3D, and 32-bit color space. The chapters begin with valuable tips for artistic compositing including using channels for difficult masks and sophisticated layer management with Smart Objects. In addition, viewers will explore 3D Modeling—using only tools found in Photoshop, as well as a practical workflow for merging 3D layers with models from outside sources.
Photoshop: Mastering Advanced Techniques with Brian Maffitt introduces viewers to techniques for texturing and lighting models using the 3D Panel, choosing appropriate scene settings and render presets, and creating photorealistic detail with bump maps. The chapters close with a look at 32-bit color space as an artistic tool, and managing bit-depth for export using Smart Objects.
Works with Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS5
- Discover how Smart Objects can be used to organize your projects
- Use Curves as an effective 3D modeling tool
- Learn how you CAN import complex 3D models and integrate them into a Photoshop 3D scene. It is difficult, but it CAN be done, and it is definitely worth it.
- See how in 32-bit space, color behaves like real-world light.
Chapter I: ARTISTIC COMPOSITING (82 min)
- Choosing Suitable Source Material
- Loading a Path as a Selection & Floating It to a New Layer
- Good Hair Day – Using Channels for Difficult Masks, Part 1
- Good Hair Day – Using Channels for Difficult Masks, Part 2
- Layer Management with Smart Objects
- Creating a Fiery Texture from an Illustration
- Applying a Texture with Liquify
- Compositing Fire
Chapter II: 3D MODELING IN PHOTOSHOP (83 min)
- Introduction to 3D
- Making a New Mesh from Grayscale
- Creating a Seamless Object from Grayscale
- Creating a Smooth Grayscale Gradient
- Using Curves as a Modeling Tool
- Advanced Grayscale Modeling
- Merging 3D Layers
- Exporting, Importing & Combining 3D Objects
Chapter III: TEXTURES & LIGHTS (93 min)
- Creating a Seamless Tarnished Metal Texture
- The 3D Panel, Scene Settings & Render Presets
- Setting 3D Material Options
- Performance Optimization & Setting Up 3D Lights
- Adjusting Material Shininess, Point Lights & Spot Lights
- Creating an Ivory Material to Texture the Skull
- Using Bump Maps to Create Metalwork Detail
- Creating Additional Detail with Bump Maps
- Using Complex Bump Maps for a Bas-relief Effect
Chapter IV: 32 BITS – PUTTING IT TOGETHER (49 min)
- Compositing the Fire Sprite into the Chalice
- 32 Bit as an Artistic Tool
- The Final Element: Type
- Reducing Bit-Depth for Export Using Smart Objects
Total Run Time: 5 hrs
Brian Maffitt brings a singularly diverse background to presenting and directing. As a former professional actor, photographer, carpenter, and Graceland Tour Guide, he jumped on board the computer graphic revolution in the late 1980s. He founded MAFF/x in 1993 and won several awards for video production, interactive design, and animation. Brian also co-founded Atomic Power Corporation and released two award-winning sets of software plugins for After Effects, “Psunami”, and “Evolution”. The latter was acquired by Adobe in 2001 and is now included with every copy of After Effects sold, and has been featured prominently in untold commercials and films,including Pixar’s Academy Award-winning “The Incredibles”.
A combination of communication skills and computer proficiency made video training a natural progression. As Total Training’s co-founder and Chief Creative Officer, he is devoted to great training, crafted by an extraordinary creative team, for exceptional customers. And if he can occasionally make you smile (or roll your eyes) along the way, so much the better.
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.