Most of the tools of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are easy to learn and understand, but there is one major exception: the Pen tool. In this course you’ll become a Vector Master by following along and practicing the many exercises presented. You’ll be amazed at your new skills and abilities using this comprehensive and versatile tool.
Most of the tools of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are easy to learn and understand, but there is one major exception: the Pen tool. It is a very versatile vector drawing tool present in all three applications and can save you a lot of time and effort if you learn to use it properly. It can be used for drawing shapes and illustrations, creating custom frames for your layouts, making selections of your images, designing custom paths for your type, drawing artistic effects and so much more.
In this course you’ll become a Vector Master by following along and practicing the many exercises presented. You’ll be amazed at your new skills and abilities using this comprehensive and versatile tool.
Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign CS6 or later required to work along with included project files.
- You can draw horizontal or vertical straight lines with the Pen tool if you hold down Shift while creating anchor points.
- You can combine paths into one Vector Mask in Photoshop and also choose how these paths should interact with each other.
- The Smooth tool and the Simplify feature can greatly improve the quality of your paths in Illustrator.
- You can align text along a path and you can also control where you want it to start and end.
- There are several ways to draw symmetrical shapes with the Pen Tool in Illustrator, but probably the most effective is to use a guide for the center of symmetry and then duplicate and reflect half of the shape with the Reflect tool. Make sure to hold down Alt and Shift together while dragging the first half onto the other side.
Chapter I PEN TOOL BASICS 12:55
- What is the Point?
- Pen Tool Options
Chapter II DRAWING WITH THE PEN TOOL 46:11
- Drawing Straight Lines
- Drawing Curves
- Drawing Complex Shapes
- Drawing Symmetrical Shapes
Chapter III WORKING WITH PATHS 28:48
- Creating Custom Shapes and Symbols
- Creating Custom Frames in InDesign
- Selecting, Editing and Saving Paths
- Combining Paths
- Smooth Tool and Simplify Path
Chapter IV PEN TOOL WORKFLOWS 19:41
- Making a Selection with Paths
- Masking with Paths
- Type on a Path
- Stroke Paths
- 3D Shapes from Paths
Martin Perhiniak is a Certified Adobe Design Master and Instructor He worked as a designer for companies like Disney, Warner Brothers, Cartoon Network, Sony Pictures, Mattel, and DC Comics. He is currently working in London as a designer and instructor, as well as providing a range of services from live online training to consultancy work to individuals worldwide.
“Do not compare yourself to your role models. Work hard and wait for the moment when others will compare them to you”
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.