Take a guided tour of Microsoft’s newest UI (user interface) platform, WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) in this video series. Instructed by Robby Ingebretsen, you will learn invaluable tips and techniques for building amazing applications and user experiences.
Ideal for developers and creative professionals, this training series plunges into fundamental principles including XAML, layout, controls, data binding, styles, templates, graphics, animation, and much more.
- Learn how to create and compile a WPF project.
- Understand data binding and the best practices for when to create bindings.
- Explore WPF controls such as Framework Element, Content Controls, Items Controls, and RangeBase Controls.
- Find out how to use XAML and Blend to create styles and effects.
Chapter I: GETTING STARTED WITH WPF (22 min)
- WPF Related Applications & Tools
- Starting a WPF Project
- Understanding XAML
- Using IntelliSense to Add Attributes
- Adding Elements to the Application
- Using Code Behind
Chapter II: LAYOUT BASICS (44 min)
- Understanding the Element Tree
- Introducing XamlPad
- Using the Canvas Panel
- Using the StackPanel
- Using the WrapPanel
- Working with the Margin Property
- Using the GridPanel
- Defining Rows & Columns
- Assigning Objects to Columns
- Defining Column Widths
- Using the Grid Splitter
- Applying a Layout to the Media Player
Chapter III: CONTROLS LIBRARY ESSENTIALS (46 min)
- Working with a Border
- Using an Image
- Using a Text Block
- Understanding Controls & Buttons
- Using the Scroll Viewer & Tool Tips
- Understanding Item Controls & List Boxes
- Using Tab Control
- Working with a Menu
- Using a Range Base
- Adding Controls to the Music Player
- Becoming Familiar with Rich Content
- Using the XAML Clipboard
- Using Embedded Fonts
Chapter IV: DATABINDING & RESOURCES (36 min)
- Getting Started with Databinding
- Adding References
- Understanding Resources
- Databinding to Collections
- Using Data Templates
- Databinding to Other Elements
- Using the Content Template Property
- Using Value Converters
- Using TwoWay Binding
Chapter V: APPEARANCE TEMPLATES ON CONTROLS (36 min)
- Introducing Control Templates
- Creating a Basic Button Template
- Using Triggers
- Understanding Template Binding
- Using Styles
- Working with Control Templates
- Using Templates in the Music Player
- Merging a Scrollbar into the Music Player
Chapter VI: WPF’S VISUAL CAPABILITIES (54 min)
- Creating a Volume Control Icon
- Understanding Brush Type & Resource
- Using a Gradient Brush
- Adding an Opacity Mask to a Brush
- Transforming Objects
- Using Bitmap Effects
- Understanding Storyboard & Animation
- Adding Animation to a Control Template
Chapter VII: PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER: REAL WORLD WPF (31 min)
- Creating a Shiny Button
- Refining a Shiny Button
- Creating a Button Border
- Creating a Pressed Effect
- Creating a Glow Effect
- Final Comments & Credits
Total Run Time: 6 hrs
Robby Ingebretsen has over 5 years of experience with WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation), a rare feat for a technology that is barely a year old! He garnered that experience as an original member of the WPF team at Microsoft where he was responsible for the group that created the WPF control library. During that time, Robby was also deeply involved in efforts to teach early adopters how to use the platform.
Today, Robby is the Director of Creative Development for IdentityMine. In this role, he has actively been putting WPF to work in real world projects and scenarios and has played a major part in creating IdentityMine’s instructor-lead training curriculum.
Robby is an industry recognized expert speaker on WPF and has a very popular blog at www.notstatic.com. He is also the author of the well known SimpleStyles and the XAML editing tool, Kaxaml. Robby lives in the Seattle area with his wife and two sons.
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.